Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

“Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him.”

The laws of heaven do not offer much reward for mere belief in Christ. As James wrote: “Thou believest that there is one God? Thou doest well: the devils also believe and tremble. But wilt thou know O vain man, that faith without works is dead.” Job’s devotion to God survives even through loss of his family, all his worldly wealth, his health, his wife’s support. Through all this, he does not simply believe in God, but still trusts Him enough to say after all the losses: “Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.”

2 comments:

  1. To me, this seems to address directly the perception among many religions that a mere confession of Christ's name is enough, and that good works are unnecessary to salvation. If mere confession is enough, isn't that just a confession of belief in the same thing the devils know, that Christ is the Savior?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought. I've enjoyed reading more and more about Job. I love how his faith and example still resonates through generations and generations.

    ReplyDelete